Preparing for flooding

Please be aware of what information is available and what you can do to help yourself. Many arrangements to protect properties can be made in advance.

How to protect your home and yourself during a flood

1. Get the latest flood warnings- Sign up to receive free flood alerts by email or SMS from the Environment Agency (EA). Alternatively, you can search for the latest flood warnings directly on their website or call the EA Floodline on 0845 988 1188. Please keep an eye on the government’s flood alert
service at

2. Check your home insurance to make sure you’re covered and keep details in a handy/dry place

3. Plan how you could stop water entering your home e.g. sandbags or flood sacks, drain plugs, door guards, air brick covers. Sandbags are available from Leyburn Police Station. Please contact Richmondshire District Council on 01748 829100 if you require additional sandbags. Rubble bags filled with water and secured with plastic ties have proved to be a very effective defence against flood water. They are cheaper to purchased, take up less storage, can be moved quickly into place following warnings from the Environment Agency, and are easily disposed of.

4. Move your valuable belongings to a safe/dry place and roll up carpets. You may also need to move your car.

5. Know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water and let everyone in your house know too.

6. Disconnect Appliances- cookers, washing machines and dishwashers that are connected to gas or water pipes – to reduce damage if the appliances float

7. Prepare a flood kit including a torch, warm and waterproof clothing, water, food and medication.

8. Prepare a list of contact names and telephone numbers for utility providers, insurance company, neighbours or relatives.

9. Remain safe during the heavy rainfall. Flooding environments can be dangerous places. So please don’t walk through flood water; you don’t know how deep it is and what is beneath it.

How to get help

The Environment Agency Floodline (24-hour service) 0345 988 1188. Specially trained Flood Support Officers across the country provide information and advice during and after floods.

What to do after a flood

Take care as there may be hidden dangers in the flood water like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution.

  • Get professional advice on any damaged structures.
  • Throw away any food which has come into contact with flood water, including canned goods.
  • Contact your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible
  • In almost all cases the insurance company will send a loss adjuster to look at your property. They will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and covered by your policy.
  • If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.
  • If you do not have insurance, we will be able to provide information on hardship grants or charities that may be able to help you.
  • Be aware of rogue traders.

Housing Support

If your property has been flooded, and you are able to, please arrange to stay with family and friends and/or contact your insurance company if you are in need temporary accommodation. If you are in private rented accommodation, we suggest you make contact with your landlord as their insurers may be able to provide temporary accommodation.

If none of these options are available to you, please contact the Richmondshire District Housing Team on 01748 901150.


If you are concerned about any health related issues following the flooding, I would urge you to seek advice from the NHS ‘111’ service.


If you have been flooded, contact your insurance company and follow their advice. Please refer to the Association of British Insurers if you require further advice on making insurance claims. 

If you haven’t got insurance, the National Flood Forum can offer help and support on 01299 403055.

Council Tax/Rates relief & Funding

Domestic & Business properties that have been flooded through a weather related incident may be entitled to a council tax or business rates discount for up to a maximum of 12 months. Please contact Richmondshire District Council on 01748 829100 for details of how to apply.

Two Ridings Community Foundation Fund- Anyone who has been flooded should apply- and will be eligible for- an automatic initial award of £300. Contact the Two Ridings Community Foundation office on 01904 929 500 or email (more information is available in this leaflet).

Pin It on Pinterest