Job Title: Assistant Clerk
Responsible to: The Town Clerk Leyburn Town Council
Date Produced: September 2023
Contracted Hours: Part Time – 18.5 hours per week (The role will include working some evenings and occasional weekends).
Salary: Salary Scale SCP 10 -12
Salary in accordance with National Joint Council recommendations; pay scale £12.28 – £12.73, points 10 to 12, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The postholder will be expected to attend specific training pertaining to the role of a local council clerk.
Interviews: Week commencing 9th October 2023.
Leyburn Town Council seeks an enthusiastic and highly motivated person to take on the post of Assistant Clerk to the Council.
The Town Council serves an attractive historic market town with a current population of around 2000 with an annual budget of £169,000. The Council is represented by 9 Councillors and employs a team of 4 part-time staff – Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer, Assistant Clerk, Market Superintendent and Caretaker. The Council manages the Cemetery as well as the community Library, weekly Market, numerous Play Areas, and the Shawl Fields.
You will be based in our beautiful Victorian building Thornborough Hall that provides community facilities for our residents, including acting as a wedding venue.
This position is a permanent position, subject to completion of a probationary period, working 18.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. There will be a requirement to work one evening a month to provide clerk support to Council and committee meetings.
The Assistant Clerk is the Town Clerk’s deputy. The post holder assists with the delivery of council services as well as supports the Town Clerk with general administration of the office and is responsible for clerking the Shawl Committee meeting. Duties will include:
- Dealing with day-to-day correspondence for the Council, this will include the preparation of agendas and associated documentation Council and Committee meetings, as well as taking minutes at meetings.
- Administration of Council facilities such as Cemetery, Market, and recreation fields, as well as managing weddings and events.
- Administration skills will also be extended to the day-to-day use of the council’s financial systems including invoices and purchase orders.
The Town Council is looking for an individual who:
- Knows Leyburn well and would like to help promote and improve the Town.
- Is organised and efficient with an ability to deal with tasks as swiftly and effectively as possible.
- Has a strong background in administration and is IT literate.
The ideal candidate will have a good standard of education, including GCSE level grades AC (or equivalent) in English and Maths. A high standard will be expected across all aspects of written work as documents produced by the postholder will be in the public domain.
Experience working for a parish/town council would be beneficial but is not essential as full training in all aspects of local government administration will be provided. More detailed information is given in the job description and person specification.
If you would like an informal conversation about this role, please contact Charlotte Smith, Town Clerk on 01969 622561.
The closing date for applications is Friday 6th October 2023. Interviews will be conducted week commencing 9th October 2023.